Monday, February 11, 2008

Is Child Evangelism a form of Child Abuse?

QUESTION
After reviewing the articles related to child evangelism, how do you respond to the question, “Is Child Evangelism a Form of Child Abuse?” Agree or disagree?
Article is at: http://www.anabaptists.org/writings/child-e.html

ANSWER
First of all mad props to the writer of this article for speaking his mind and speaking it bluntly and holding back no punches, he isn't joking around.

I think the first thing that needs to be presented is the presentation of the gospel. "Come into my heart and make me a Christian so I can go to heaven to be with You some day." We have made Christianity this idea of fire insurance. We make it all about going to heaven and nothing about bringing heaven to earth. Doesn't the most popular prayer in the Bible say "on earth as it is in heaven." We have lost the idea that we are called to care for people, instead of living the American dream and thinking we have our 401k of death covered because we paid into it with a prayer. When the gospel is presented this way it becomes cheapened and not about Christs love, but our selfish ambition to survive.

I think it is important for a child to understand the gospel fully before accepting it. The issue is that every Christian parent wants their children to be raised to follow Christ, so most push it on their children at a young age and they began to realize their decision wasn't very genuine, and in their teenage years they either recommit and let Christ become the Lord of their life or turn away because they don't really believe what they have been told they believe.

I don't know if I would go as far as the author does in his last few sentences, but I do think that when we present the gospel the wrong way to children it is worse than child abuse because we are abusing something much more precious then their flesh, their souls. I don't believe I have much wisdom in this area since I am currently not a parent. My main issue is that we need to get away from the idea that we should accept Christ so we can go to heaven.

No comments: