Thursday, January 24, 2008

Success in Evangelism

Question:
Bill Fay states that "success is not bringing someone to Christ, rather success is acting out your Christian life, sharing the Gospel and trusting God for the results." Do you agree or disagree? How does this affect the way one should do evangelism?


Answer:
I believe in the statement “Preach the gospel always. And when necessary, use words.” I would assume that this statement somewhat agrees the question asked. I believe we are called to follow Christ. During our journey we are called to care for the poor, orphaned, and widowed. I believe there is a way to preach the love of Christ without using words and we as the American church have lost this art. I hear many people tell me that they hand out tracks downtown as evangelism. My mind wanders as I think to myself “has anyone ever accepted Christ from reading a track?” I believe in the power of the word and if the track contains scripture then I believe it has the power to transform someone’s life. On the other side of the coin I see how our culture has so many advertisements coming at them everyday. When we hand out a track are we just marketing Jesus? Why not market Jesus with our lives? Tony Campolo once asked, “Even if there were no heaven and there were no hell, would you still follow Jesus? Would you follow him for the life, joy, and fulfillment he gives you right now?” If you answer yes, then why in the world would you print a piece of paper or tell someone about Jesus when you could show other people the love of Christ through your life?

No comments: